Wednesday, November 11, 2009




At the end of the first Gulf War, many of the Marines based out of Camp Lejeune returned home by Navy ships. As the only N&O photographer that had access to free accommodations (my parents' beach house) down near Morehead City, I was given the assignment to cover the return of one ship in particular - the USS Raleigh. The ship was due in at sunrise, but before going to the port I decided to check out the beach at Fort Macon State Park first. Waiting there in the predawn glow on the beach was a huge gathering of supporters, spread up and down the shoreline. In the distance we could see the ship and as it steamed closer to Beaufort Inlet an older gentleman got out of his truck with an American flag. Just as the sun crested above Shackleford Banks the USS Raleigh glided by and the proud American waved his flag with gusto. I motored through his actions, trying to time his body or the flag as it blocked the sun. I knew I had the image I wanted as soon as I lowered my camera.

The story of the USS Raleigh continued for me that day when I was fortunate enough to be on the Raleigh's final journey home to Norfolk. Myself and several other local journalists spent the night on board as the ship made it's last cruise back to its home port. The Raleigh was soon decommissioned and sent to the scrap yard. But that's another blog for another day.

Thanks to all the military men and women that have served our great nation. We are a better country for all that you have done...
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment