Monday, October 26, 2009


This one of those moments in photography that I like to refer to as "gravy." Whenever a shooter gets an assignment, the first rule of thumb is to get the "meat and potatoes" before anything else. You shoot what the editor requests and then when that's secured you shoot what you want. If the subject is willing, you play around and see what happens. In this case (shooting for the Alumni magazine), I was shooting a researcher at ABB on Centennial Campus with a new petroleum product that would be used in transformers and was not as volatile. I shot the usual posed shot of him holding the vessel with transformer in the background. I noticed his tie was enlarged within the liquid and after I got the main photo, I asked him to look through the beaker. Viola! His eye enlarged and I knew I had the photo I wanted. To my pleasant surprise, the magazine ran the unusual image instead. And the rest, as they say, is gravy...
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment